Double Block


Object Detail

About This Object
Standard double block used to form a tackle. The block consisted of three parts; the shell, the sheaves, and the pin. Until the early 19th century all blocks were made by hand, and the shell was usually made of a single piece. The shell would be made of knotted elm wood, noted for its good strength allowing for better protection of the mechanism. The sheaves would have been made of lignum vitae or ash. The pin would have been made of lignum vitae, cog-wood or greenheart, they run through the shell to keep the sheaves in place, whilst still letting them spin.
Catalogue Number
INV.140
Collection
Invincible
Measurements
Height: 265mm
Width: 205mm
Depth: 170mm (6 11/16")
Production Date
Pre 1758
Production Period
Eighteenth Century

Classification

Media

 Share